.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

One dies, seven hospitalized from home in unincorporated Adams County

-A A +A
By The Staff

COMMERCE CITY — An incident at a home in the 7800 block of Kenwood Street that left one man dead and seven other people hospitalized — including three children — was likely due to a carbon monoxide leak.

Emergency responders were called to the home just east of Vasquez Boulevard in the Derby neighborhood shortly before 6 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10, on a report of an unconscious person inside, according to Sgt. Paul Gregory, a spokesman for the Adams County Sheriff’s Office.

Upon arrival, Adams County deputies found a man — Calixto Ascensio, 55 — dead in the home. Four other adults and three children were transported to Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center in Denver for treatment of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Following the incident, crews from Xcel Energy were in the neighborhood checking electrical and gas lines that ran to the home.

The incident remains under investigation as of press time, and law-enforcements officials have not announced what they believe may have led to a carbon monoxide leak, but they do not suspect foul play.

A 2009 law requires all homes with a fuel-fired heater, fireplace or attached garage sold in Colorado to have a carbon monoxide detector installed prior to closing; however, many homes across the state sold prior to the law’s enactment do not have carbon monoxide detectors installed.

Xcel Energy recommends customers use carbon monoxide detectors with battery backup and memory, and that they should be centrally located and near sleeping areas to help alert residents to a carbon monoxide leak with time to exit the residence before being overcome.

In addition to making sure your home has a working carbon monoxide detector, a proper inspection of your home’s furance and ventiliation systems and regular maintenance can contribute to minimizing the chance of a carbon monoxide leak.