Clean-up continues after two days of rain, hail, floods

-A A +A

Commerce City officials said May 23 that all roads in town were open, with the exception of Peoria Street from 96th to 104th avenues, following the deluge of rain.

The news from Fairfax Park was just as encouraging. Crews spent the night pumping water out of the park "and that the water has receded significantly."


Officials also said the weather affected several trails in town. Second Creek Trail south of 104th Avenue is closed due to flood damage until further notice. Prairie Gateway Trail is open but has damage and cautionary signage/markings throughout the trail. The railroad underpass from Fairfax Park to Highway 2/67th Place is under water and closed until further notice. And Sand Creek Trail is open, but authorities say the creek can swell fast because of upstream rain.

The clean-up and pumping were courtesy of two days of heavy rain and hail that rumbled through town. It caused flooding inside one high school, dumped 3 inches of hail at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, forced an evacuation of City Hall and flooded several roads and underpasses.

Tornado warning sirens went off in Commerce City and parts of Aurora at midafternoon May 21 but not Brighton. Students in the southern area of School District 27J stayed in their classrooms until the storm passed. 

"It is our policy not to release students during a tornado warning," 27J District spokesman Kevin Denke said. The process of getting students into buses and on their way home started shortly after 3 p.m., according to a tweet from the district.

Schools in the Adams 12 School District returned to normal operations around 4 p.m. Spokeswoman Breanna Deidel said activities at Lester Arnoild High School were called off May 21 because of water issues inside the school.

City Hall was evacuated for a short time May 21. The all-clear sounded shortly before 2:45 p.m. The storm moved east toward Watkins and Bennett shortly before 3 p.m.

Jon Yunt, a sports reporter with BoCo Preps, reported 3 inches of hail fell at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, scene of the state 4A championship soccer match between Cheyenne Mountain and Broomfield high schools. The game was delayed and eventually completed.